httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: CALL FOR VOTE: Inclusion of mod_rewrite v2.2
Date Mon, 12 Aug 1996 07:26:38 GMT
On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> I'm +1 for including it as an *optional* module.
> I'm -1 for including it as a default module.
>
> When we can produce a set of config files that provides the
> same functionality as the existing default set with mod_rewrite
> replacing the redundant others, I would be +1 for making it
> the default.

I'm not sure I understand this logic, and I'm sure I don't understand why
it would cause you to veto mod_rewrite as a default module.

In the default config files, srm.conf-dist to be precise, there are
exactly three directives that are applied to mod_userdir or mod_alias.
Two, in fact, are commented out. They are:

UserDir public_html
#Alias /icons/ /usr/local/etc/httpd/icons/
#ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/

That's it. It is trivial to replace these with mod_rewrite directives. I
can do it right now:

RewriteRule /~([^/]+)(.*) ~$1/public_html$2 [L]
#RewriteRule /icons(.*) /usr/local/etc/httpd/icons$1 [L]
#RewriteRule /cgi-bin(.*) /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin$1 \
	[T=application/x-httpd-cgi,L]

(the \ on the third line representing a continuation).

This is not the real issue. Our default config files are really besides
the point. The point is the over one hundred thousand existing Apache
users that probably would not appreciate us no longer including the Alias,
ScriptAlias, Redirect and UserDir directives in Apache 1.2.

Now, Ralf has written a mod_rewrite_compat module, which emulates these
directives by translating them to RewriteRule directives and passing them
on to mod_rewrite. However, I have not tested this thouroughly, and there
are doubtless enough little quirks in mod_userdir and mod_alias that
people have come to depend on, that we would break existing configurations
anyway.

But I feel it is very important to include mod_rewrite *by default* in
Apache 1.2. Why? Because it makes life incredibly simpler. I spent two
hours on Friday trying to figure out how to get something to work with
Apache 1.1.1; I finally was able to, but it wasn't pretty, and I know for
a fact I could have done it in ten minutes with mod_rewrite. Because Alias
and Redirect are really underpowered; they can't do a lot of the sorts of
URL-mapping that modern web sites demand. The average user needs this
capability just as much as the overpriced commercial sites do. I suppose
we could extend Alias and Redirect, but I really see no re

So unless you can come up with a *really* good reason not to include
mod_rewrite in Apache 1.2 by default (and you haven't yet, btw), I must
ask you to reconsider your veto. Vetos should not result from
wishy-washyness; that's what the +0 or +0.5 (or -0.5) votes are for.