httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: here's a bug (fwd)
Date Thu, 08 Aug 1996 17:20:35 GMT
On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, "jonathan (j.) petruk" wrote:

> We are testing Apache to determine if it's a good idea for us to use
> it, and have stumbled upon a bug that is very problematic for us.
> We have a two server system, and it is neccessary to redirect
> access to user accounts (~userid) from our main server to our
> secondary server.  That having been said, the redirect statement
> that we've used in the past (using NCSA 1.3 and 1.5) that does
> not work under Apache is:
>
> Redirect /~ http://47.208.119.109/~
>
> Instead of redirecting, it attempts to get it from our main server,
> which does not mount the neccesary directories.

This is not a bug, rather a feature. The Apache Redirect directive only
matches entire path segments. This is so that, for example,
"Redirect /info" does not match a request for /information, or
/infomercial, which could be very problematic.

To accomplish what you want to do, you might instead use the following
directive:

UserDir http://47.208.119.109/~*/

Thanks for using Apache!