httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite v2.2-SNAP (II)
Date Thu, 08 Aug 1996 00:14:51 GMT
On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> As mentioned in the last reply I don't want to remove the
> http://thishost[:thisport] reduction stuff because it is both useful and
> imporant for a lot of rewriting features and it will not cause problems _IF_
> correctly implemented.

I'll buy that, I guess.

> At this point you last time were right: the current implementation was buggy,
> because there were problems for servers running on a non-standard port. I now
> jumped again into the code and fixed these problems. Now the reduce_uri()
> works fine i.e. in reduces correctly even for servers on non-standard ports
> where the prefix would be http://thishost:thisport/. I then discovered that
> there was a related problem when such a server does a _explicit_ external
> redirect ([R]) for itself where his port has to be included in the used URI.
> This now is also corrected in the current mod_rewrite v2.2-SNAP.

Okay... I've downloaded this, and it seems to work okay. I am now
confident in suggesting that mod_rewrite.[ch] be included, as is, in
Apache 1.2. Hopefully, the group can now decide (quickly) on either
including mod_rewrite as is, including it with (even more) changes,
including it as an "optional" or "experimental" module, or not including
it at all. My vote goes for the first option. It is a *very* useful
module, and provides a lot of functionality that Apache does not currently
have, in a simple yet powerful manner.

In short, I like it, therefore we should force it on the 100,000 Apache
users out there :P

> Finally: Again I go sleeping and listen what your next feedback is...
>          If there are no more requests, then we can start for the voting to
>          get mod_rewrite included into 1.2!
>          Did anyone say it is easy to contribute code to Apache? Hmmm.... ;_)

Generally, for contributions over about 15k, it tends to get hard. Put
together, mod_rewrite.c and mod_rewrite.h are 77k of pure code (as opposed
to a patch file, with is generally only about 1/4 to 1/3 pure code), and
so may very well be the largest single contribution to Apache.