httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Patch for SCRIPT_NAME/PATH_INFO... ?
Date Wed, 07 Aug 1996 22:54:34 GMT
On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Glancing at it makes me think that it is a kludge that fixes a deeper problem.
> Or, more likely, half-fixes it. What I'd like to know, but haven't the energy
> to find out, is what that deeper problem is.

Yes, it's somewhat of a kludge, but it's not a deep problem; it's a very
superficial problem. Namely, that path infos for URLs and filenames can be
different. In other words, I can rewrite "/url" to "/filename/path-info",
and then "/url/more-path" becomes "/filename/path-info/more-path", but
Apache, as is, thinks that URL path-info and filename path-info *must* be
the same. When, in this case, they aren't. So, in other words, Apache is
broken, in a very simple way.

Simple problem, somewhat complex fix. But it works. The
SCRIPT_NAME/PATH_INFO stuff isn't all that great of a system *anyhow*,
becuase it presumes that the URL can be divided into a "filename" and a
"path info", when often it cannot. So we just have to make do. Which my
patch does.