httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite v2.2-SNAP (II)
Date Wed, 07 Aug 1996 19:20:53 GMT
On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> Ok, first thanks to Alexei for his suggestions, even when they cost me a lot
> of time to incorporate into mod_rwrite ;-) (his last ones caused me now 6
> hours... hmmm)

Sorry about all that... it's just that I really would like to see
mod_rewrite in Apache 1.2, but changes needed to be made before I was
happy with the module. Hopefully, they're changes for the better :)

> Now, the current mod_rewrite v2.2-SNAP has all requests from Alexei included.
> Have a look at the ChangeLog at
> http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mod_rewrite/arc/mod_rewrite-SNAP/ChangeLog
> to see what stuff was changed (a lot of code changed!).

Okay... I've looked at this version, played around with it a bit, and I
can now say I'm *almost* happy with it. There's just one little thing I'd
like changed:

Remove the reduce_uri() function and any calls to it. It has some problems
that cause it to not work right when you're not running your server on
port 80. But more than that, it's a bad idea. There is a very good reason
to issue an external redirect to yourself - so relative links work. This
is why all web servers in existance either require that you have a
trailing slash on directories, or issue a redirect so that you end up with
one. If you "transparently" change external redirects into internal
redirects, you cause confusion.

Except for that one little change (which amounts to just deleting a dozen
lines of code - a no-brainer), I can now say (at least for now), that I am
very happy with the current snapshot of mod_rewrite, and am in support of
including mod_rewrite.c in Apache 1.2, and in the default Configuration.

Thanks!