httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Language negotiation not problem." on Linux (fwd)
Date Wed, 07 Aug 1996 00:06:49 GMT
On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Aram Mirzadeh wrote:

> > I am adding a seperate Japanese version of my home
> > page and users who have Netscape configured with
> > English/US as their only language get the Japanese
> > page instead of the english one.
> >
> > My srm.conf file contains the folowing lines:
> >
> > AddLanguage en .en
> > AddLanguage ja .ja
> > LanguagePriority en ja
> >
> > If Netscape is configured with either en or ja as
> > one if its language preferences then everthing
> > works the way you expect. If the user has no
> > language preferences specified the english page is
> > sent, as you would expect.  However if the browser
> > is setup with only the en-US choice then the user
> > always gets the japanese page.

I noticed this the other day, actually. It's a `bug'. If Apache wants to
be compliant with the various Content-language specs, it needs to do
sub-language matching. i.e. en, en-us and en-gb all match each other, but
not as well as en-us matches en-us.

Apache currently just does a straight string match. It needs to be fixed,
and someone needs to fix it.