httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: ScriptLog patch
Date Sat, 03 Aug 1996 06:07:48 GMT
On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> I like the capability... However, I don't like the use of another fd,
> esp for those OSs that have a limited number. Anyway to have this
> info folded into error_log?

Look closer. It doesn't use another fd; it opens and closes the log each
time it writes to it (the theory being that a well-designed script should
never have to log anything, therefore if you're sites screwed up anyway,
why not open and close a few files? It's a debugging tool, anyhow.) This
disadvantage to that is that , of course, the logs need to be writable by
the server user, but I think that's an acceptable solution, at least in
this case.