httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: arrrrgh!
Date Fri, 02 Aug 1996 16:39:57 GMT
On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Is MIE 3.0 golden yet? If not, then it might not be too late. After
> all, as team members of the most popular web-server software out there,
> we might have _some_ clout :/

So you'd think. I don't know about Microsoft, but Netscape seems to take
the additude (from what little we've heard from them - and it's been very
little) of "you're the most popular server, so you'd better do what we
want." I don't quite understand the logic, but...

> As I under the spec though, isn't it wrong to assume port 80 ?

In what context? If you mean wrong for a browser to assume every request
is on port 80, well, yes. If you mean wrong for a server to assume the
Host: header indicates port 80 if it doesn't say elsewise, I refer you to
section 14.23 of draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-06:

  A "host" without any trailing port information implies the default port
  for the service requested (e.g., "80" for an HTTP URL).

Seems very clear to me.