httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: gnats
Date Tue, 06 Aug 1996 22:32:55 GMT
On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:
>           A good bugtracking system would send you mail when you need to
>   look at something.
>
> Hmmm... I can't think of an automated system which goes through
> incoming bug reports and automatically filters out those reports
> where it's clear that any bugs in Apache itself are the least of the
> submitters' problems ("Failure to compile on El33tNIX 5.56+0.3i, error
> message: 'make: command not found'").  It's at least my impression that
> the humans who have been reading the bug-mail have in fact been doing
> this.  It seems Alexei would like someone to keep it up...

Absolutely.  All the points made thus far have been excellent, and the system
should accomodate such filtering.  I am adament about wanting a public
resource, though, where everyone can find out what has been addressed.  I'm
finding a bunch of limitations with the current WWW interface however so I'm
looking at redoing a *lot* of it (separate scripts for separate functions, for
example), and that requires learning how gnats works.  Ugh.  But, it's a high
personal priority at this point, and having a bug system based on gnats seems a
smarter option than building our own.

	Brian