httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: "Strcasecmp problem"
Date Tue, 06 Aug 1996 05:12:02 GMT
On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:
> If we are serious about maintaining an Apache port to NT, IMO we
> need to do it with the same codebase. Those areas needing abstraction
> to OS APIs would be much more apparent if the work could be done
> while leaving the source intact.

If we can do it, yes.  If NT's threading model and other aspects are so wildly
different than under Unix (which I have not been led to believe), and if there
was a not-small group of people on this list willing to maintain and develop
the NT version, then it's certainly possible to maintain two development trees.
Each team keeps the other abreast of changes made in all aspects, and there's
an attempt to keep releases simultaneous and equal on a feature basis.  BUT, if
there's only one or two NT folks on the list, then it's probably not enough to
really keep it alive.  We could ask usenet for NT volunteers, of course.

Netscape has tried to maintain a common code base for its browser app, and
while I think that has hurt them at times, I think the strength of having
consistant feature sets across platforms is very compelling.  On the other
hand, MSIE's code base and developer group is different for PC and Mac, and
there probably will be a separate group for Unix as well (I'll ask when I go to
some MSIE 3.0 launch party thing next Monday).

	Brian