httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: New Configure, Take iii
Date Thu, 01 Aug 1996 07:55:01 GMT
On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Configuration is much more streamlined; instead of uncommenting
> various lines for a platform, you simply uncomment one. Enabling SOCKS
> and full STATUS is very easy. Additional flags and options can also
> be easily added.
>
> The question: Is this required? I think so; Configuration(.tmpl) is
> getting quite messy lately, and despite the talk, there are quite a
> number of people who do NOT think moving to full autoconf is a Good
> Idea. It is _time_ for Configure to be a bit more intelligent and
> Configuration to be a bit easier. I think waiting until 2.0, with the
> many additions and extensions that will be folded in is a bad idea.
> Since 1.2 hasn't even had a public beta yet, now is the time for patches
> like this to be considered. It may not be a flashy as a new module,
> or elegant C, but, IMO, it's just as important.
>
> Comments and feedback are welcomed and encouraged, unless there are
> unfounded <g>

Well, I still think we should move to autoconf at a point in the future.
But I think that this is a very slick peice of work. I like it. +1

A couple of notes, though:

1. Would it be possible to make the "rules" not have that colon in front
of them? What would be so bad about just "PLATFORM=whatever" and so forth
and so on. I'm concerned that people will accidentally remove the colons,
thinking them comment characters (I know they look that way to me - many
languages use semicolons as comment characters, and they look similar).

2. It may take some fussing, but it'd be nice if the excess whitespace
could be removed, i.e. ideally, there should be no more than one space
between any of the arguments in a call to the compiler. It's an asthetic
point, but heck...

Also, it's "POSIX regex", not "POSIX/regex". Or if you'd like to be a bit
more pedantic, they're "POSIX.2-compliant regular expressions". Actually,
"regular expression" probably should be spelled out somewhere, in case
people don't have a clue.

Otherwise, looks nice and clean. Cuts the complexity of Configuration down
by a lot, which is good.