httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark J Cox <m...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: FrontPage Server Extensions for Apache? (fwd)
Date Thu, 29 Aug 1996 07:30:57 GMT
This was mentioned on the apachessl-users list:

MS said the next version of FP extensions, would fix the two big security
holes.  One of them requires you to patch the Apache source to add support
for a wildcard argument to ScriptAlias.

Mark

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 22:51:55 -0600
From: Mark Costlow <cheeks@swcp.com>
To: larry@ShireNet.com
Cc: ricardo@americasnet.com, beej@inet-images.com, apachessl-users@c2.org
Subject: Re: FrontPage Server Extensions for Apache?

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996 22:38:51 -0400 (EDT),
Larry Himes <larry@ShireNet.com> said:

Larry> We had a customer awhile back who wanted to use some of the extensions
Larry> so I tried bringing them up with Apache on one of our BSDI machines.
Larry> After struggling with the thing for a week, I decided that the only
Larry> way I will ever (if ever) support the thing is on a dedicated NT
Larry> machine running IIS or Website or some such. It is not well supported
Larry> on BSDI, IMO, and poses too many security problems.

The irony here is that FP was developed on Unix and the Unix support is
actually stronger in the current version than the NT IIS support.  (MS didn't
write FP, they bought the company that wrote it, like everything else they
sell).

At ISPCON, MS said the next version of FP extensions, which was supposed to be
released on 8/26/96, would fix the two big security holes.  One of them
requires you to patch the Apache source to add support for a wildcard argument
to ScriptAlias.

We haven't checked out the new version yet, but plan to soon.  The first
version was a security nightmare, as several people have commented.

Mark
--
Mark Costlow            | Personal Contact:      | SWCP Information:
Southwest Cyberport     | Mail:  cheeks@swcp.com | Mail: info@swcp.com

               "Education is never a waste" - Viscount du Valmont