httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: CustomLog patch revisited
Date Mon, 19 Aug 1996 13:22:40 GMT
On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> A couple of months ago, Paul Sutton (I believe it was) showed us a
> mod_log_multi.c that he had written, based on mod_log_config, that allowed
> for the use of more than one log per server, and some other nifty stuff.
>
> I've gone back to that module, taken the multiple-log stuff, put it into
> the current mod_log_config, as per the patch below. I believe (and I
> assume Paul does as well, since he wrote it), that it is rather useful
> functionality. For example, if a site needs to log in a specific format
> (CLF or another) for use with log analysis software, but wants to log some
> extra peice of information, this lets them do it. It allows for a
> generalized version of mod_log_referer/mod_log_agent/mod_log_host.

Yeap, I think is it a most useful functionality.

Just a couple of questions about your merger of my code:

  1.  You removed the %U I added to log request URI... this is
      needed to be able to do a referer log (which has format
      referer -> uri).

  2.  You remove all my long and detailed comment at the top...
      I think it might be worth at least mentioning CustomLog
      in the comment for mod_log_config, since it explains
      the other directives (LogFormat and TransferLog).

Besides that, I'd

Paul
--
Paul Sutton, Technical Director, UK Web --- http://www.ukweb.com/~paul/