httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Win32 Progress Report
Date Sun, 04 Aug 1996 23:37:37 GMT
On Sun, 4 Aug 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> >Snort< >Stare< >Boggle<.  Sun Quality Software.  Sigh... I haven't
> got the specs beside me to check, but I'd very much like to know how a
> "Posix threads" interface which behaves this way can conform to the
> actual Posix spec.

Well, POSIX only defines the thread interface, and says the basic
binary-running stuff stuff has to comply with it. I mean, you don't
*have* to use libc if you don't want to, and you certain'y don't have
to use libsocket (where the gethost* functions are).

> How much would it cost them to write the fifteen lines of code it
> takes to allocate a thread-specific buffer for the return values?

Or just use dynamic stack memory instead of static.

> (They claim to be Posix, so I'm assuming they *do* support
> pthread_{get,set}specific... but if they're blowing nameservice ---
> and even if the pthreads specs allow their current behavior, I still
> think they're blowing it --- I suppose they may also have blown
> this...).

Yes, they do support all the pthread_* stuff. At least, they have man
pages and include files with them, and it seems to link okay. I never
got it to the point where I could actually *run* a threaded program
with Solaris pthreads, though.