httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject MIDI media type
Date Sun, 04 Aug 1996 23:17:39 GMT
Hmm..

I'd like to add a media type for MIDI files to Apache's default
mime.types file. What should it be? I see audio/midi and audio/x-midi
in about equal proportions on existing web servers. audio/midi is not
a registered media type (why not, I wonder; it's a freely available
spec, if I recall correctly. Maybe I should just go find the spec and fill
out the media-type registration form), but it seems to be used a
lot. But then, so is audio/x-midi. Netscape's LiveAudio plugin
indicates support for both of 'em.

Anyone have any opinion, one way or the other? Maybe a vote; which of
the following should I add:

audio/midi                      mid midi kar
audio/x-midi                    mid midi kar

(kar is the standard extension for MIDI Karaoke files.)

And FWIW, we already have media types that aren't registered and are
non x- names, audio/mpeg, for example. And we know that Roy feels (and
had put in an earlier draft of the HTTP/1.1 spec) that x- types don't
apply to HTTP, and were a bad idea in MIME.

Anyone?