httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David M. Oliver" <d...@newshare.com>
Subject Re: interesting news (fwd)
Date Wed, 07 Aug 1996 18:53:29 GMT

	this is off topic, but...

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, sameer wrote:

> > 	Many of you probably know that Caldera Inc - backed to
> > 	some degree by ex-Novell Chief Raymond Noorda - has been
> > 	fighting the battle for some time, basing it's product
> > 	(a desktop env) on Linux, with a full developers kit for
> > 	porting software from M$ products.
>
> 	"to some degree"? Isn't he Caldera's majority shareholder?  I
> really love Caldera's tactic of buying DRDOS as an excuse to sue
> msoft. Caldera has much promise, I think.

	I put this in the same category as something I am dealing
	with now -- the so-called "Freeny Patent".  I dont mind
	software people going head-to-head (or marketing-guy to marketing
	guy, even), but when you have a company of lawyers whose
	sole purpose is to use software as an excuse to sue, I get
	unsympathetic pretty quick.

	I have Caldera on my machines, and I like it (though my version
	has RedHat underneath, and I am not sure new versions do).

> > 	Sun, too, has had "alternative to MS"" as part of its
> > 	strategy for some time.  Not clear how successful this
> > 	ploy is.
>
> 	solaris x86 sucks, sorry.

	you're talking to an ex-SunOS guy here.  I am no fan of
	any flavor of Solaris, honestly.

Dave
| David Oliver                                 dave@clickshare.com |
| Managing Director-Technology              Clickshare Corporation |