httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Garey Smiley" <ga...@main.slink.com>
Subject Re: Blocking with proxy?
Date Sat, 24 Aug 1996 21:08:55 GMT
On Sat, 24 Aug 1996 15:55:29 -0400 (EDT), Aram Mirzadeh wrote:

>> > Does the Apache proxy allow for this?
>> >
>> Not completely. The problem is with the blocking of outgoing sites for
>> the stats students. It's possible this can be done with a combination
>> of either xinetd or tcp_wappers and the proxy, with the usual perf
>> hit, or kernel level IP filtering (if he has it) and the proxy.
>>
>> This isn't the first request for an outbound version of the <Limit>
>> directive for the proxy. Do we think this is a desirable feature?
>
>I highly recommend we try to do this.  Either using proxy, or something
>like mod_rewrite.
>
>I have the reverse of this problem.  I want to stop people from going
>out using my proxy server.  I've been playing around mod_rewrite it's not
>a fully workable solution yet.

I would like to see several features added to the proxy.

- The ability to block specific sites or URLs. A ProxyBlockAddress
command that would take a domain name or ip. A ProxyBlockURL command
that would block a specific url as in block
ftp://ftp.abc.com/pictures/porn/, but not ftp://ftp.abc.com/pictures.

- Extra log files for the proxy. ProxyLog command that would specify
where to log proxy requests so they wouldn't have to be in the
access_log. ProxyBlockLog command that logs requestes to blocked sites,
and URLs.

Maybe this should be done through allowing a <VirtualHost> to be a
proxy, but not the main server.

Garey Smiley
SoftLink Services
garey@slink.com