httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: Negotiation updates, and transparent neg.
Date Wed, 21 Aug 1996 00:52:35 GMT
Ummm, I was thinking last night about the change to */* handling,
and I think we may have done it wrong.  As I recall, Netscape sends

    Accept: */*, image/gif, image/jpeg, image/xbm

on a normal request because their *&*%^$%#$^ program is too lazy
to do a merge.

The problem is that if a given resource is available as both
text/html and image/jpeg (as might be the case for a magazine cover),
then inventing a low q value for */* means that the user will get
the image/jpeg version even if the text/html has a much higher qs.
I'm sure that RST mentioned this to me last year at MIT.

I think the only solution that would work is an "all things being equal"
tie-breaker function which only gets called when */* appears without
a q-value.  Whatcha think?

.....Roy