httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Things to tell a reporter?
Date Mon, 19 Aug 1996 17:59:02 GMT
Robert S. Thau wrote:

> There's a reporter who's poking around these parts trying to figure
> out how, or if, IS managers are using free software for web-based systems.
> There are a few obvious things to say to any such person, of course ---
> support *is* available if you want to pay for it, from some now (and
> perhaps more later, though I'm not going to name names of possible new
> entrants unless they've explicitly asked for it, of course); also the
> advantages of source code access, the Netcraft survey numbers, active
> participation by the server developers in the HTTP WG perhaps.
>
> Any other ideas?

Quite a few of the developers _are_ IS managers.

Comparative reviews opine that Apache is better-supported (even the free
support) and more easily set up than commercial servers.

Urgent bugs (particularly security related) are turned around very rapidly.

Don't forget the API, and the large number of optional modules...

And, the Internet is largely run by free s/w - Apache merely continues that
noble tradition.

Cheers,

Ben.