httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "spaces with URL are ignored" on Solaris 2.x (fwd)
Date Sat, 17 Aug 1996 03:32:50 GMT
> In that case, the server should return 400, because a message like:
>   GET /foo foo HTTP/1.0
> violates both HTTP/0.9 and 1.0.

Yes, it should return 400.  It does not do so primarily for historical
reasons.  We will try to fix that for the next release.

> Also Apache 1.1.1 incorrectly returns a 400 error for a bad HTTP
> version, rather than a 500 or 501 (or 505 "HTTP version not supported"
> for HTTP/1.1).

Hmmm, what do you mean by "bad HTTP version"?  One that is in the wrong
format (like the above example) or one that is much higher than expected?
505 (which was only invented a couple months ago) is primarily intended
for denying service to older versions of HTTP.  The reason we don't deny
future versions is because they might be compatible with HTTP/1.x in
the initial request and thus would prefer an HTTP/1.x response rather
than an error.

Thanks for your report (and for using Apache)!

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92697-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/