httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: ignoring errors
Date Fri, 16 Aug 1996 00:15:59 GMT
> Has anyone written some code to allow substrings to be configured
> so that some common "errors" don't get logged?

Nope.

> I do a lot of cache work which results in a "file not found" error
> before I create a cache entry, and I've hardcoded a 1 line "if"
> to prevent my cache misses being logged.
>
> Something more formal would be nice (with regexp support), but I think
> I remember this idea was stomped on (by Roy?) some time back.

Ummm, not me.  I faintly disagreed with the notion of not logging
some addresses in the *access* log (since it belies server load and
allows some attacks to be left unseen), but I backed down on that
after discussion of disk space resources.

I'd like some way to reduce error messages, but perhaps a severity
level or common set of error codes would be more appropriate.

> I looked at the code but couldn't work out in which module (or not by
> the looks of things) the code should be placed.

I'd guess it is where log_reason is located.

.....Roy