httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: threads
Date Wed, 14 Aug 1996 01:54:57 GMT
> My current thoughts on 1.2 vs. 2.0:
>
> 1) We're not done with 1.2. I know I personally have a couple more things
> I'd like to see in it. I say give us developer-people at least another
> week to add stuff.

Yep.  There is now a whole lot more in 1.2 than just the HTTP/1.1 stuff,
and that all needs to be run through our real systems before we can
even discover the bugs that need fixing.

> 3) As for HTTP/1.1... well, the http-wg just put out a new draft (-07),
> but they claim it won't slow down the IESG review process. I don't know
> exactly when it might be approved (or rejected), though; could be anywhere
> from tomorrow to September. If we choose, we can wait for approval to
> release 1.2b1. Or we can release it as-is. Apache 1.2-dev is a perfectly
> valid HTTP/1.0 server - it does not label itself as HTTP/1.1, not does it
> do anything that would cause it to behave incorrectly in response to
> either a HTTP/1.0 or HTTP/1.1 request.

My intention all along has been for us to release Apache 1.2 before the
HTTP/1.1 spec is finalized, and just create a one-line patch for making it an
HTTP/1.1 server when the time comes.  We should have a completely tested,
robust HTTP/1.0 server with all of the HTTP/1.1 features (other than
the version change) out in the public's hands, and the smallest possible
number of changes between that and our first official HTTP/1.1 server.

But, before then, we need to fix that proxy code, create a good mechanism
for cache-control, and update the negotiation code.  There is plenty of
work for idle fingers to do.

.....Roy