httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: gnats
Date Tue, 06 Aug 1996 19:43:52 GMT
Robert S. Thau wrote:

>           A good bugtracking system would send you mail when you need to
>   look at something.
>
> Hmmm... I can't think of an automated system which goes through
> incoming bug reports and automatically filters out those reports
> where it's clear that any bugs in Apache itself are the least of the
> submitters' problems ("Failure to compile on El33tNIX 5.56+0.3i, error
> message: 'make: command not found'").  It's at least my impression that
> the humans who have been reading the bug-mail have in fact been doing
> this.  It seems Alexei would like someone to keep it up...

Seems to me that a decent bugtracking system would allow those humans who do
this filtering to elevate the bug report to "actual bug" status, and at that
point the email would be sent. It would also allow users to select at what
point they get sent email.

This would also permit those (like me) who prefer not to get mail but rather to
be able to browse the current "actual bug" list to do so. Well, actually, I'd
like to be able to do both.

I would almost certainly fix a lot more bugs if I could do this.

Cheers,

Ben.