httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: arrrrgh!
Date Sun, 04 Aug 1996 06:12:44 GMT
>> As I under the spec though, isn't it wrong to assume port 80 ?
>
> In what context? If you mean wrong for a browser to assume every request
> is on port 80, well, yes. If you mean wrong for a server to assume the
> Host: header indicates port 80 if it doesn't say elsewise, I refer you to
> section 14.23 of draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-06:
>
>   A "host" without any trailing port information implies the default port
>   for the service requested (e.g., "80" for an HTTP URL).
>
> Seems very clear to me.

Like I said a couple weeks ago, that sentence also encompasses services
other than HTTP (e.g., https, shttp, snl, ...).  If the server supports
more than one protocol, the code should check the scheme (protocol)
before determining the default port, assuming there is some reason you
need to know the URL port (as opposed to the request port).

.....Roy