httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Win32 Progress Report
Date Sat, 03 Aug 1996 21:02:22 GMT
People might be interested to know that I spent some time looking at porting
threaded Apache to Win32 today.

Initial success was excellent - RST's basic smoketest ported and ran first
time. However, things got hairier when I started to look at DNS. The basic
problem is that Win32 just doesn't have a resolver interface. gethostbyname()
is as low-level as you can get without writing (or stealing) the whole shebang.
Also, non-blocking I/O is done in a very Windowsy way.

Anyway, this has led me to contemplate writing instead an RSThread
compatibility layer which translates into Win32threads. The only snag about
this is that Win32 then gets to be the guinea-pig for preemptive threading.

There are two possible alternatives. The first is to do things the old
non-preemptive Win16 way - with hidden windows and Windows messages flying
about the place. The second is to use Win32threads but only for the internal
asynchronous stuff (so Apache still threads non-preemptively). Both of these
avoid the guinea-pig scenario, at the cost of being crap. If you'll pardon my
French.

There's also the question of how sfio fits into all this. I'm trying to avoid
thinking about that right now ;-) If anyone feels brave they can look into it
for me...

Speak now or forever...

Cheers,

Ben.