httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Strcasecmp problems
Date Fri, 02 Aug 1996 13:34:57 GMT
Christian Gross wrote:

> ----------
> > From: Ben Laurie <ben@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
> > To: new-httpd@hyperreal.com
> > Subject: Re: Strcasecmp problems
> > Date: vendredi, 2. ao{t 1996 14:31
> >
> > Christian Gross wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have several problems...
> > >
> > > The problems that I am having relate to my port to a threaded model
> and
> > > Windows NT.
> >
> > When do we get to see the source for this?
> It depends on what kind of source you want to see...  Currently Apache for
> NT is a bit of a mess.  That means if I was to release the source today,
> it would not compile, because it uses parts that are specific to my
> solution.  Those parts I will not release.

Are these parts essential to making it work, or are they added extras?

> However, if you are willing to
> accept this fact I would be happy to release the code this weekend.  So
> people tell me you want the source this weekend????   As well, this source
> is very specific to NT and the first thing any of you will say is "what a
> goof ball"  The reason for my delay is that I need to keep my paying
> client happy first.
>
> I wanted to spend some time cleaning up the code, but again if all you
> deem it unncessary I would be more than happy to release the code and then
> assist in the cleaning up procedure.

If we are going to support it as an "official" option for Apache then the code
has to compile under both Unix and NT. My interest is actually in a Windows95
version - can you see a problem with that?

Its difficult to say whether we need cleaned up code or not without seeing it,
so I suppose I'd like to get a look at a version...

Which version of Apache did you base it on?

Perhaps a summary of what needed changing would be informative.

> > > I do not know if point 1 and 2 are related, but maybe someone can help
> me
> > > on this one.
> > >
> > > 3) I have a GPF very consistently that breaks my entire program, in
> the
> > > routine strcasecmp.  Could someone explain to me what it does exactly
> and
> > > how it is used.  The values of p at time of fault is NULL and q seems
> > > correct.  Did I stumble on something.  Note that this bug happens only
> > > sometimes, but very consistently.
> >
> > strcasecmp is a synonym for stricmp ... it should _never_ be passed a
> NULL
> > pointer. We need to know where it comes from...
> >
> The null pointer comes from the table routines.  It thinks that there is
> an element, but in fact there is none.  I saw it happen from init_mime.

Sounds like a bug!

> BTW something I want to know is some of you seem to be able to get Apache
> 1.2 code and some of you submit code.  Please tell me how this works...  I
> use a version control system myself, but its SourceSafe or PVCS.

Anyone can get 1.2 code from ftp://www.apache.org/httpd/from-cvs. Only those
with commit privilege can submit code. The version control system is CVS. If
anyone else wants patches applied they have to persuade one of the core members
to do it - a somewhat unreliable process at the moment but hopefully (if we
ever get a bug-reporting system in place) becoming more streamlined...

The snapshots are updated every 6 hours.

Cheers,

Ben.