httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Makefile.tmpl
Date Thu, 01 Aug 1996 09:09:46 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > It can, can it? How? On my system SOCKS isn't anywhere autoconf is likely to
> > look. Also, what happens when it finds more than one; I have SOCKS4 and SOCKS5
> > on my system (or is it 3 and 4?). Which should it use? If it finds both dynamic
> > and static libraries, which should it use?
>
> Except autoconf *doesn't* look. The C compiler looks. All autoconf does is
> try to link something with "-lsocks" (or whatever). And if you have
> libraries in weird places, you can tell autoconf that. Just say
> "LIBS=-L/some/wierd/path/lib autoconf".

So I still have to answer the question but I don't even get asked it. This is
supposed to be an improvement?

> I mean, if *you* have your libraries in weird places, I guess that's a
> problem. But if the comments in Configuration are an indication, the usual
> place for the SOCKS library is /usr/local/lib - hardly someplace autoconf
> and ld don't know about.

And also hardly somewhere that an ordinary user is allowed to put things.

> > In my experience, autoconf makes a complete hash of even dealing with the
> > standard system libraries, let alone others I may have lying around.
>
> That's your experience. No autoconfiscated program I've ever used has
> failed to configure correctly. And it's a heck of a lot easier to just say
> "./configure" than to edit a file, or answer sit through a question and
> answer session.

Well, if anyone ever gets around to autoconfing Apache I'm sure you'll discover
the joys of it failing on many different platforms ;-)

There's little point in banging on about the ease of use. We all agree that a
method that involves the user in no conscious thought is superior. We just
disagree on how best to achieve that.

Cheers,

Ben.