httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: threads
Date Tue, 13 Aug 1996 10:48:46 GMT
Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com> writes:

> Random thoughts on Apache 2.0 and threading:
>
> So I believe Apache needs a threads compatiblity layer for these sorts of
> user-level functions. So a module can call do:
>
> apache_mutex *my_mutex;
> apache_mutex_init(my_mutex);
> apache_mutex_lock(my_mutex);
> apache_mutex_unlock(my_mutex);

This is along the same lines as my examples on multiple architecture
abstraction. I'm all in favour of it.

I'd like to know what we're up to vis-a-vis 2.0 etc. I'd like to start
working on some of this abstraction but it's 2.0 stuff not 1.2.

I think my conclusions now are that 1.2 should be a http 1.1 release
only and we can stick that in a branch on it's own and just clean it
up as the spec comes to completion and have it ready to go the day the
spec is finalised. In the meantime we can all get to work on 2.0 which
looks like it's going to be a major piece of work and we're wasting
development time that could be spent on it waiting for a 1.2 release.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155