httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src conf.h
Date Thu, 15 Aug 1996 10:04:57 GMT
"Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU> writes:

> Not in SunOS 5.5 -- it is part of the normal library.  The prototype
> is the same, though, which is why it is safe to add it for any Solaris
> machine (at least until we stop using gethostname).  This is not related
> to the SunOS prototype issue which fails due to prototype conflicts
> in the different libraries.

Well, like I said, we've been through this before and I've dug into it
a little more since it bothers me that Sun can't get their act
together.

It looks like they removed it in 2.4 and stated it was part of the BSD
compatibility lib but brought it back into libc for 2.5, but they
obviously didn't do a very good job of it since they didn't put back
the prototype.

> My experience has been that uname is completely unreliable -- frequently
> giving just the hostname (not fully-qualified) or truncating the FQDN
> at some arbitrary limit.  Changing this will require extensive testing.

Umm, so does gethostname. Both functions return whatever the hostname
was set to by the user.

The 5.4, 5.5 compatibility thing means we should still migrate from
gethostname and in any case, it's not thread safe on 2.4 so we'll end
up breaking threaded Apache for 5.4 boxes and that might be hard to
track down if it works on 5.5 boxes.

> > On of the things I'd like to get cracking on but 1.2 is effectively in
> > feature freeze indefinately.
>
> Que?  So far, the non-HTTP related feature creep on 1.2 is about 10 times
> that of the HTTP changes. That is hardly what I would call a feature freeze.
> The only thing we haven't added is multithreading, and I expect to see
> that patch any day now. ;-)

Well, someone needs to make up their mind about what the hell we're
doing. If we add multi-threading to the head now then we won't get 1.2
out before christmas. We can't do the config changes or the
abstraction changes either because it's likely to destabilise the code
so we *are* basically in a kind of code freeze i.e. no major changes.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155