httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: module status
Date Mon, 05 Aug 1996 12:48:52 GMT
Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> writes:

> Alexei Kosut wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> >
> > >    BTW: With the current regex stuff of Apache it is not possible to
> > >         compile in any module or stuff which uses a different regex library
> > >         when this different regexp library conflicts with the prototypes of
> > >         regex.h from the Apache distribtion. Becuase regex.h is included in
> > >         conf.h and even commenting it out does not work, becuase it is needed
> > >         for alloc.* etc. I think it would be better to have some sort of
> > >         USE_INTERNAL_REGEX and sorround all regex stuff in Apache, i.e.
> > >         if you don't want to use the stuff Apache should not even try to
> > >         declare the stuff in alloc.h and utils.c etc.
> >
> > I disagree. We've included that nice regex code, people should be forced
> > to use it :P
> >

> I seem to recall someone offering to be the "official" maintainer of
> the regex stuff. If true, then my previous objections are substantially
> reduced.

I'm really not keen on Apache getting totally bound up with it's own
regex library. We're taking on a lot of unecessary work to work around
something that is an OS failure and not many of our supported
platforms actually need the work around.

FreeBSD had a perfectly good regex library (the same one Apache now
has as it happens) and this is just added baggage that Apache didn't
need for that platform. How many platforms *don't* have a working
POSIX regex?

If it's only one or two then we should rethink what's been done and
pull out the regex code so that you only have to get it if you need
it.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155