httpd-dev mailing list archives

From (Dean Gaudet)
Subject Re: Things to tell a reporter?
Date Wed, 21 Aug 1996 20:28:37 GMT
In article <>,
Robert S. Thau <> wrote:
>  The Olympic sites (run by IBM) using Apache is also worth a mention.
>... Hmmm... I'm not sure that IBM would appreciate that, but it's a
>thought.  Another thing which might be interesting to mention is that
>source access allows for customization; that, in turn, would be a bit
>more persuasive with some examples of people who are doing it (e.g.,
>HotWired) --- Dean, would you guys have any problem with this?

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I'm just the engineer.  What
would you like me to do?

Just last week I was quizzed by some netscape drone, no, sorry, an
independent person doing a survey about Apache vs. Netscape.

I don't remember all the questions but I was pretty blunt when I said
we'd never use a webserver we didn't have source code for.  When asked
why I responded by saying that even with the highly general API I've had
to go outside of the API to modify things in the core code, something
I wouldn't have been able to do with Netscape.

I mentioned that Netscape's server tends to be more buggy and takes
longer to get things fixed.  But I said this is based on second-hand
information because I've never used netscape myself.

I cited "good communications with developers" as another plus for
apache, but I did not want to mention this list by name or even
implicitly.  Along with this I mentioned early access to new standards.

When asked whether people would prefer something "shrink wrapped" (actually
the question was more along the lines of "something with a paid support
contract") I chuckled.  Then I mentioned Cygnus (I hope I was allowed
to do that...).  Then I mentioned that 30% of the servers are Apache,
so I said "no I doubt people want something shrink wrapped".

She asked about intranets I said "I don't know anything about what an
intranet might want, I don't run one, sorry.  But if I had to guess,
their needs aren't different than mine, except they probably already
have money invested in platforms like NT.  So they may go for the
Netscape server until Apache's NT port is finished."

That's all I can remember at the moment.

View raw message