httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: Serious bug in Apache/Navigator
Date Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:16:07 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

>> > Netscape (3.0 final) totally ignores the new expiration date and
>> > happily sits there pounding on the server for more "304 Not modified"
>
>This is stupid. But I bet I know what the Netscape engineers were
>thinking: "Hmm. We're doing this animated GIF thing. But what do we do
>about Expires dates? Oh, we'll figure out later. For now, if there's one,
>just do a conditional GET, to make sure nothing changed. If we've got time
>later, we'll do something better, but that'll do for now. I mean, who
>would  really put an Expires on a GIF anyhow, unless it was dynamically
>generated?"

I reported it Tuseday, so it's gone into the bugs tracking black hole.
I also moaned to root@netscape.com after one of their machines went into
a loop on a non-animated GIF. Of course they blamed the server and
suggested I look into it (Geez, as if apache would have any bugs ;-).

The latest response, now that they realise it's their bug is "If this is a
reported bug, I think that is all that can be done."

Helpful eh?

Roy, did you ever get any Andressen dolls made? I could rip the head
off one today.

rob