httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Ermm ... another thing
Date Sat, 24 Aug 1996 20:27:21 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> > > BTW, I spent a couple hours poking around HP's support site. I finally
> > > found a tech note that says, basically "mmap doesn't work with HP-UX 9.x
> > > on the 800 series. It does on the 300, 400 and 700 series. It'll work in
> > > HP-UX 10" (I don't know if it actually does). And, lo and behold, my
> > > machine (the one for which mmap doesn't work) is a 9000/826 (I presume Rob
> > > H's machines that do work are 700 series?).
> >
> > Has anyone with broken MMAPs tried using SHMGET, if they have it?
>
> Yep. The same machine doesn't work with shmget either. It compiles and
> runs okay, and I get a message in the error log about "creating memory
> segment" or something, but it never forks any children. Hmm.

I wonder if the segment is placed too close to the brk() point and
that's what's preventing spawned processes? I discovered that was the
case with A/UX (well, it _did_ provide some space between brk() and
the memory segment, and it was enough to spawn some processes, but
I was concerned about long-term running)