httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aram Mirzadeh <...@qosina.com>
Subject Re: Blocking with proxy?
Date Sat, 24 Aug 1996 19:55:29 GMT
Chuck Murcko said:

> Garey Smiley liltingly intones:
> >

> > >I want to use my server as a proxy gateway to allow users from INSIDE
> > >our firewall access to the outside. We have stats students who are not
> > >allowed access to sites outside the university. I want to give them
> > >access through this server to certain specific sites, like
> > >www.spss.com, but not others (like www.penthousemag.com).
> >
> > Does the Apache proxy allow for this?
> >
> Not completely. The problem is with the blocking of outgoing sites for
> the stats students. It's possible this can be done with a combination
> of either xinetd or tcp_wappers and the proxy, with the usual perf
> hit, or kernel level IP filtering (if he has it) and the proxy.
>
> This isn't the first request for an outbound version of the <Limit>
> directive for the proxy. Do we think this is a desirable feature?

I highly recommend we try to do this.  Either using proxy, or something
like mod_rewrite.

I have the reverse of this problem.  I want to stop people from going
out using my proxy server.  I've been playing around mod_rewrite it's not
a fully workable solution yet.

<Aram>
--
Aram Mirzadeh						awm@qosina.com
MIS Manager				      Apache httpd team member

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
                -- Dean Martin