httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "netscape with proxy ftp for .exe" on Linux (fwd)
Date Sat, 24 Aug 1996 18:45:16 GMT
I've had this problem with Netscape, without the proxy being in the loop.
I've worked around it by shift clicking on the .exe to download, to over-
ride the browser's idea of the file type, and force a binary download.

Also, there was some mention by Ralf or Rasmus about Apache always
prepending a Content Type: text/html in the header. This could well
be causing the problem.

The only place where the proxy forces a text/html type is when it sends
an error message.

Aram Mirzadeh liltingly intones:

> One for the proxy.  If you can please cc a copy of the response to me.
>

> <Aram>
>
> Timothy Wagner said:
> > Since my first communication on this subject, I have
> > tried downloading .exe files with Netscape, WebExplorer,
> > and InternetExplorer with the same results. I believe this
> > to be A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH THE APACHE PROXY SERVICE.

> > the Apache mime.types file says:
> >
> > 	application/octet-stream        bin dms lha lzh exe class
> >
> > My Netscape Navigator says:
> >
> > 	application/octet-stream	bin,exe
> >
> > These seem to be equivalent to me, what more can I do.
> > I really do't understand how all this works but, I did
> > notice one thing. Netscape thinks all downloaded .exe
> > files are mime type text/html. This is why it displays
> > the file instead of saving it.

> > If you cannot help me with this problem, will you please
> > forward this message to another Apache team member
> > who might be able to, thanks.
> >

> --
> Aram Mirzadeh						awm@qosina.com
> MIS Manager				      Apache httpd team member
> Qosina Corporation				    aram@hyperreal.com
> http://www.qosina.com/			    http://www.qosina.com/~awm
> PGP Key 			http://www.qosina.com/~awm/pgpkey.html
> Key Sig 	      BE 49 9D F6 2A A7 22 FC  02 E9 1E 3D F7 0C 67 A0
>
> You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
>                 -- Dean Martin

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
New members urgently required for SUICIDE CLUB, Watford area.
		-- Monty Python's Big Red Book