httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Ermm ... another thing
Date Sat, 24 Aug 1996 12:41:45 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Aram Mirzadeh wrote:
>
> > Randy Terbush said:
> > >

> > > Older version of Linux have notorious MMAP problems.
> > >

> > That's an understatement. I'm not too crazy about the newer versions either.
>
> Luckily, we don't use mmap on Linux.
>
> BTW, I spent a couple hours poking around HP's support site. I finally
> found a tech note that says, basically "mmap doesn't work with HP-UX 9.x
> on the 800 series. It does on the 300, 400 and 700 series. It'll work in
> HP-UX 10" (I don't know if it actually does). And, lo and behold, my
> machine (the one for which mmap doesn't work) is a 9000/826 (I presume Rob
> H's machines that do work are 700 series?).

Has anyone with broken MMAPs tried using SHMGET, if they have it?

> I do think it would be better (and not too time-intensive) to use
> config.guess instead of asking the user to id their machines. This way we
> could also get rid of the HSREGEX line, by determining which OS versions
> are known to have working regex implementations. The only problem is the
> legal aspect, which is that config.guess is GPLed, except when used with
> autoconf. I think Ben's suggestion is a good one: rename Configure
> Configure.in. Add a couple autoconf macros to it that don't do much
> (basically just add AC_INIT to the top and AC_OUTPUT to the bottom)
> generate a Configure, and then we are spared the legal aspect of it.

That one version of Configure I had did have a low-level OS/platform
checker... I can dig that out and continue in that direction if
desired.

Most autoconfs just look for regex routines and don't necesarily check
to see if they work or not... I think we still need HSREGEX in some
form, if only to allow people to override autoconf.

Soooo how about a Configure that checks for OS/platform it's running
on. We then adjust it so that we set correct defaults for NO_MMAP
obvious platforms like Linux and "older" HP-UXs (or maybe enable
SysV shared mem instead if they have it).

Personally, I don't see a big deal in maintaining having the user
select their platform. It kinda gives the impression that if they
see their platform listed it means it's "supported" but if not,
well then, some changes may be needed. Having a OS/platform checker
insulate the user from this may lead to a false sense of security
and/or support. Recall that support for a new OS may require changes
in conf.h and elsewhere...