httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject WWW Form Bug Report: "License question" on OTHER: (fwd)
Date Thu, 22 Aug 1996 12:43:51 GMT

Do we have someone who deals with these question?

not acked, if there are no complaints by tomorrow, I'll give
him the ok.

----- Forwarded message from wfrank@syskonnect.de -----

From: wfrank@syskonnect.de
To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
Date: Thu Aug 22  5:09:07 1996
Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "License question" on OTHER:

Submitter: wfrank@syskonnect.de
Operating system: OTHER:, version:
Version of Apache Used: 1.1.1
Extra Modules used:
URL exhibiting problem:

Symptoms:
--
Dear Developers, Dear Readers,

SysKonnect currently plans, to derive an  HTTP
Server from the Apache 1.1.1 Source.  This HTTP
Server will be run on an 68K processor in  a non
standard OS-like environment in a Network Infrastructure
Product, a hub-like device. The ported Server will be used for
in-band management and administration of this hardware box.

My question: I read the LICENSE file coming, with the 1.1.1
source several times.  Unfortunately, I'm not an expert in
free Software and Pulic Licenses.  I think I'm right, but
could you please confirm that we do not infringe
any Licenses, Copyrights of the Apache Group, when
we port derived work from the Apache Server Code to
a commercial hardware application ?
(I heard from Public Licenses that do not allow to derive
commercial products from a PD/free Software, but the
derived Software itsself must be put in the PD.  Ok,
our Product will not be a Software package but
a Hardware device coming with an installed HTTP Server.)
Please send a reply to this.

When reading the LICENSE File, I found item 4 saying
"The names Apache Server .... ... without prior written
permission"
But it does not say where to get this written permission.
Otherwise, I would have send this request to this
address and not the buglist.

If there are no problems with using the Apache code
as source, if we succeed in bringing this product to
the market, and if your are interested in informations
about it, please tell me.  I will provide you with information
if all the above "ifs" are followed by a "true"

Please send a reply to
wfrank@syskonnect.de

TIA,
werner