httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brown <mbr...@OpenMarket.com>
Subject Re: FastCGI and SSL.
Date Tue, 20 Aug 1996 13:48:06 GMT

Michael Smith asks:

    Has anybody else out there tried to use fastCGI and SSL in apache?

Yes, Nigel Metheringham has tried and succeeded; see

    http://www.fastcgi.com/mail-archive/0096.html

Ben Laurie is correct that mod_fastcgi violates the
buff abstraction, which breaks SSL; Nigel's message includes
a patch.

I would like to incorporate the essence of Nigel's patch
into the released version of mod_fastcgi.  The only downside
is that doing so prevents a FastCGI application from
engaging in filter-like behavior: writing large amounts
of data to stdout before fully consuming stdin.

Since mod_fastcgi doesn't support the FastCGI Filter role,
and you can already approximate that role using mod_action,
I don't see a big downside.  I see a big upside to being a
well-behaved module and supporting SSL.  If you are using
mod_fastcgi and don't like this change please let me know.

    --mark