httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <>
Subject We're all going to die
Date Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:05:07 GMT

Remember my mail about a compuserve robot the other day?
Well I have another one now, which looks identical which is
coming from a different address. It requests 4 GIF icons over
and over for hours and hours (different 4 gifs to compuserve)

Now, with MSIE 3.0 and NS 3.0 just hitting the streets, I'm suspicious
that this could be the sign of a broken browser.

If it is, the net's in for a rough ride over the coming weeks/months
because these things are going to become very common and will probably
affect more than just my site.

Latest offender:

grep -c $LOGS/access_log

in 4 hours, which makes it a rapid fire, non-stop attack. It ignores 403
and even the server being down completely.

..still waiting for a response from both sites as to what happened.

Rob Hartill (
The Internet Movie Database (IMDb)