httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Tromey <tro...@creche.cygnus.com>
Subject licensing problem in Apache
Date Mon, 19 Aug 1996 22:07:11 GMT
I just noticed the (#ifdef'd-out) function `inststr' in src/util.c.
This function has the comment:

        /* stolen from the source to perl 4.036 (assigning to $0) */

I don't believe that code taken from Perl can be used in Apache, due
to differences in licensing.  Using bits of Perl in Apache would seem
to make Apache fall under the Artistic and/or GNU licenses.

Seeing as this function isn't compiled in anyway, I think simply
removing it would be the safest course.  I intend to do this in our
sources.

Of course, doing this wouldn't change things for all those copies of
Apache that are already out there.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.

Tom
--