httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@en.muc.de>
Subject Re: inquiry regarding child process reaping (fwd)
Date Mon, 19 Aug 1996 14:03:19 GMT
On 19 Aug 1996 15:17:42 +0200 in en.lists.apache-new-httpd you wrote:

> [...]
> >     - More significantly, we intermittently run into a problem with
> >       amd hanging (it's a known problem on AIX, OSF/1, Linux, and
> >       possibly other platforms). Since amd is single-threaded, when
> >       it hangs, all subsequent requests hang as well.
> [...]

> What on Earth is amd? [...]

AMD = AutoMount Daemon
       -   -     -

FYI:

In this case, the freely available automount package which has been ported to
nearly every Unix derivate. It is a great package (even better then the SunOS
or Solaris automounters).  But the observation of AMD is correct and really a
drawback of AMD: When it hangs, all hangs! But in practice, it works great.
We use it on two clusters of SunoS 4.1.3 machines and it works reall fine.

Greetings,
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@engelschall.com
                                        http://www.engelschall.com/~rse