httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Did DirectoryIndex semantics change in Apache 1.1? (fwd)
Date Fri, 16 Aug 1996 20:10:53 GMT

not acked. if you know the answer, please tell him.


----- Forwarded message from Skip Montanaro -----

Sender: skip@automatrix.com
Message-ID: <3214C3FF.167EB0E7@calendar.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:54:55 -0400
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@calendar.com>
Organization: Automatrix.com
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.0b6 (X11; I; BSD/OS 2.0 i386)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
CC: apache-bugs@apache.org
Subject: Did DirectoryIndex semantics change in Apache 1.1?
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

OS: BSD/OS 2.0
Apache version: 1.1.1
Extra modules used: proxy_module, db_auth_modul, dbm_auth_module

I switched from Apache 1.0.5 to Apache 1.1.1 yesterday to take advantage
of the new proxy capability.  Unfortunately I discovered that either the
semantics of the DirectoryIndex directive changed or I was using it
incorrectly and just getting away with it. Perhaps someone can steer me
onto the path to enlightenment.

I had the following VirtualHost directive in my httpd.conf file:

<VirtualHost 198.69.28.254>
DirectoryIndex index.shtml index.html index.htm
ServerAdmin webmaster@automatrix.com
DocumentRoot /home/killer-whale/www
ServerName www.automatrix.com
TransferLog logs/www.automatrix.com-access_log
UserDir public_html

(lots of Redirects elided...)

Redirect /kc/index.html     http://www.automatrix.com/kc/

</VirtualHost>

When I was using 1.0.5 and accessed http://www.automatrix.com/kc/ I was
correctly fed the index.shtml file that resides in that directory.  When
I upgraded to 1.1.1 I began getting the raw index listing of the
directory.  I tried commenting out the above Redirect, and commenting
out the ProxyRequests directive and the Cache* directives I had
enabled.  Nothing worked.  I then noticed that other directory URLs were
also giving me raw listings, much to my chagrin.  Rather than experiment
any more, I simply backed up to 1.0.5.

Now, I should indicate how things are put together, because my use of
the HTTP Proxy feature may be what was ruining things.  My desktop
machine is dolphin.automatrix.com.  I set my Netscape HTTP proxy to be
www.automatrix.com, port 80.  On www.automatrix.com I ran Apache 1.1.1
with ProxyRequests on and the various Cache* directives enabled to the
defaults that were listed in the httpd.conf-dist file that came with the
distribution.

I suppose it's possible that using the same server to both do proxies
and access URLs on that machine was what got me in trouble. I haven't
tried setting up Apache 1.1.1 as a simple proxy listening on another
port.

The whole motivation in this was to incorporate some URL filtering to
mod_proxy.c.  I added a small enhancement to that file that allows URLs
to be checked against a set of regular expressions.  Matches generate a
FORBIDDEN response.  It is crude, but seemingly effective.  If anybody's
interested in the patches, let me know.  I believe I will be switching
to Squid for these sorts of tasks, since it's access list stuff includes
the capabilities I'm looking for.

-- 
Skip Montanaro     |   Musi-Cal: http://concerts.calendar.com/
skip@calendar.com  |   Conference Calendar:
http://conferences.calendar.com/
(518)372-5583      |   Python: http://www.python.org/

----- End of forwarded message from Skip Montanaro -----

-- 
Rob Hartill (robh@imdb.com)
The Internet Movie Database (IMDb)  http://www.imdb.com/
           ...more movie info than you can poke a stick at.

Mime
View raw message