httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@en.muc.de>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite v2.2-SNAP (II)
Date Wed, 07 Aug 1996 23:47:24 GMT
On 7 Aug 1996 22:14:27 +0200 in en.lists.apache-new-httpd you wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> > Now, the current mod_rewrite v2.2-SNAP has all requests from Alexei included.
> > Have a look at the ChangeLog at
> > http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mod_rewrite/arc/mod_rewrite-SNAP/ChangeLog
> > to see what stuff was changed (a lot of code changed!).

> Okay... I've looked at this version, played around with it a bit, and I
> can now say I'm *almost* happy with it. There's just one little thing I'd
> like changed:

> Remove the reduce_uri() function and any calls to it. It has some problems
> that cause it to not work right when you're not running your server on
> port 80. But more than that, it's a bad idea. There is a very good reason
> to issue an external redirect to yourself - so relative links work. This
> is why all web servers in existance either require that you have a
> trailing slash on directories, or issue a redirect so that you end up with
> one. If you "transparently" change external redirects into internal
> redirects, you cause confusion.

As mentioned in the last reply I don't want to remove the
http://thishost[:thisport] reduction stuff because it is both useful and
imporant for a lot of rewriting features and it will not cause problems _IF_
correctly implemented.

At this point you last time were right: the current implementation was buggy,
because there were problems for servers running on a non-standard port. I now
jumped again into the code and fixed these problems. Now the reduce_uri()
works fine i.e. in reduces correctly even for servers on non-standard ports
where the prefix would be http://thishost:thisport/. I then discovered that
there was a related problem when such a server does a _explicit_ external
redirect ([R]) for itself where his port has to be included in the used URI.
This now is also corrected in the current mod_rewrite v2.2-SNAP.

Finally: Again I go sleeping and listen what your next feedback is...
         If there are no more requests, then we can start for the voting to
         get mod_rewrite included into 1.2!
         Did anyone say it is easy to contribute code to Apache? Hmmm.... ;_)

Greetings,
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@engelschall.com
                                        http://www.engelschall.com/~rse