httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: interesting news (fwd)
Date Wed, 07 Aug 1996 21:48:17 GMT
      one sometimes needs a bit of prodding to see things in
      a fresh light, eh?

      Many of you probably know that Caldera Inc - backed to
      some degree by ex-Novell Chief Raymond Noorda - has been
      fighting the battle for some time, basing it's product
      (a desktop env) on Linux, with a full developers kit for
      porting software from M$ products.

Last time I checked, BTW, Caldera's system actually did include
Netscape Navigator --- which, if I'm not mistaken, made buying a
Caldera CD the only way to actually get a *licensed* copy of
Navigator for Linux.  (People who ring up Netscape and ask to
just pay for the "evaluation" versions which they put up are
turned away --- I can imagine business-school rationales for
this sort of thing involving the cost of servicing all the
Linux users, but given the reputation of Netscape's support,
and the fact that most of the people who are offering to pay
would probably pay for an "as is" license with no promise of
support whatever, it doesn't really make much sense).

rst