httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@originat.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Win32 Progress Report
Date Wed, 07 Aug 1996 09:28:24 GMT

> As to where they are in the standard, as I've said, I don't have a
> copy of the relevant standards text itself nearby, but a quick
> AltaVista search indicates that the proper citation is to Posix
> 1003.4a --- realtime extensions for threading, exactly as one would
> expect.
>
> Did you actually have a point here?

Well, yes and no, I was curious about the unlocked routines since I've only
come across them in Solaris. The thing to be wary about though is that
people have been saying things about Posix as though it's an all or nothing
thing and it's not. I'd be surprised to find many OS's that are not
Posix conformant for i/o and regex (barring bugs) but that doesn't imply
as you suggested that things like getc_unlocked should be present since they're
part of a different standard that no-one has to implement to be Posix
conformant.

I disagree with your conclusions though, I stil don't see that
*unlocked has anything to do with threading and when the manual pages
say that something is not thread safe you can't assume that simply locking
will solve the problem. They may not be thread safe because they maintain
state across calls.

--
  Paul Richards, Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)