httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Win32 Progress Report
Date Sun, 04 Aug 1996 15:53:43 GMT
  I ran into some problems with DNS (nothing I couldn't solve with enough
  time, I don't think)...

Hmmm... I would have expected the normal library gethostbyname() and
...byaddr() interfaces to just work with anybody's native thread
interface (by which I mean blocking only the calling thread, in
addition to getting the right answer, of course).  These wouldn't give
you the TTL return value which the RSthreads routines supply (if
you're redoing it anyway, you might as well do it right, or so I
figured ;-), but the existing server code doesn't actually use them
anyway.

(The TTL values are actually meant for maintenance of a local cache,
which would be *required* to respect DNS TTL --- that's time-to-live,
or to put it another way, expiration --- information, as of HTTP/1.1.
Such a cache is generally be maintained by the nameserver itself,
independantly of the web server, of course, and you can think of the
DNS protocol, or at least the subset of it which rsthreads_dns uses,
as a way of formatting RPCs to get at it).

rst