httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Win32 Progress Report
Date Sun, 04 Aug 1996 15:37:23 GMT
  BTW, I object to the HAL terminology - we aren't doing hardware abstraction
  here.

Absolutely agreed.

That said, I think I should point out (so people don't get the wrong
impression from my prior rant) that I've always felt native thread
support is a good long-term goal on systems that support it, and
hiding the details of the actual threads package behind some sort of
common interface might well be a good idea.  (I hadn't considered the
RSthreads interface to be a good candidate for that general threads
layer, BTW, though if it works that way, that's OK).

Likewise, I think it would be a good idea, now that we're in feature
phase again, to revive the patch I saw a while ago to separate out the
OS-dependant parts of shared-memory setup in the scoreboard code from
the, well... scoreboard parts of it.

Where Christian loses me is in proposing massive, sweeping changes to
the organization of the entire code base, rather than simply isolating
system-dependant functionality as and when it proves useful to do so.
(That is, the "no #ifdefs" business --- I agree that large ones are,
in general, useful to avoid, but going through massive contortions to
avoid small ones for common variations may very well not be worth
the trouble, and this is best decided on a case-by-case basis).

rst