httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Christian Gross" <cgr...@eusoft.com>
Subject Re: Win32 Progress Report
Date Sun, 04 Aug 1996 09:54:26 GMT
----------
> From: rasmus@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca
> To: new-httpd@hyperreal.com
> Subject: Re: Win32 Progress Report
> Date: dimanche, 4. ao{t 1996 06:21
>
> > rasmus@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca writes:
> > > A lot of the add-on modules for Apache will break extremely badly in
> > > true pre-emptive threading model.  I am not sure how popular such a
> > > server will be if people can't use all the nifty modules.
> >
> > Yes, but threading is probably inevitable.  What's really needed is:
> >     1) good documentation on how to write modules for the threaded
> >        environment, do's and don'ts, etc.
> >     2) Simple, well documented, interfaces for utility functions.
>
> I am definitely not arguing against a threaded version.  I just like
> RST's approach which gives you most of the benefits of a multi-threaded
> architecture without making it completely pre-emptive.  A fully
pre-emptive
> server, although technically elegant, makes it *extremely* difficult for
> programmers to write components for the server.

Yes, but the problem as we all know with Windows 16 bit is that stability
problems can and will happen.  Unless someone wants to point out that
Windows 16 bit is stable like rock (talc that is ;))

> > I'd be most concerned about the bigger modules, mod_php, mod_perl,
> > mod_rewrite, and so on.  But all those people are active on this list,
> > so they should be available.
>
> I can make mod_php work nicely with RST's threads, but it would not be
> easy to make a pre-emptively threaded version.  And not just because of
> the mod_php code.  The various libraries that mod_php relies on like
> libmsql.a and libpq.a are not thread-safe.  I would have to build some
> mechanism for preventing a pre-emptive threading server from having two
> threads inside these libraries at the same time.  This can be done,
sure,
> but it is certainly non-trivial.

True this is non-trivial, but I have been programming threads for about 6
years now.  Never known anything else...

I am game for writing a good port of Apache threaded model.  However, I
think that we need to decide how we will actually do this...

--
Christian Gross
euSOFT