httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Christian Gross" <>
Subject Re: Win32 Progress Report
Date Sat, 03 Aug 1996 23:00:24 GMT
> Subject: Re: Win32 Progress Report
> Date: dimanche, 4. ao{t 1996 00:32
> > Ok come on, we all see to be doing a nice square dance about this
> > As in an earlier message where it was stated why not start using the
> > version as a basis for a HAL based Apache.  The hacked Apache that I
> > currently running is truly pre-emptive.  This version is being stress
> > tested with about approx 1800 hits per hour. (If you want to see the
> > server that is being stressed it is located at  The
> > reason for this low number is because there are server programs that
> > being called.  My client will be using this product for several Web
> > Server projects with 100->1000 concurrent users.
> A lot of the add-on modules for Apache will break extremely badly in a
> true pre-emptive threading model.  I am not sure how popular such a
> will be if people can't use all the nifty modules.
Well I think that would be part of the reason of creating a HAL layer.
With a properly constructed HAL we could run the server in a threaded
world or process world.  As well one thing that I noticed is that some
modules are not really add-ons, but core items to make the web server work
properly.  An add-on in the HAL layer could be the a syncronisation
feature that would ensure only one person is accessing the module at a
time.  Ok this is not efficient, but it would work.

Personally I feel a threaded version of Apache would be a good asset.  For
some things threads simply make life much easier.  Another good asset
would be a Windows NT and Windows 95 version.  By covering all of these
platforms Apache could be considered as the ONLY truly cross platform
server that works.

Christian Gross
Phone 41.1.492.7827
Fax 41.1.492.7757