httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: "Strcasecmp problem"
Date Sat, 03 Aug 1996 15:37:43 GMT

> I have to admit I liked what I saw when I looked at the threaded version
> of the HTTP server.  However, I think that we should adopt an approach
> that someone mentioned to me in another email.  We should begin to split
> Apache into operating system dependent sections. I would be more than
> happy to port your threaded server to NT, but the fear I see, is that I
> will simply delete huge sections of code.  Many calls could be replaced by
> native methods of the OS.  If we took an approach where by we created a
> hardware layer that moves all calls to a neutral API then porting would be
> simple.  Only the hardware layer would need porting.  Then there is always
> the solution of using Java.
>
> --
> Christian Gross

I'm concerned with your comment of "deleting sections of code".
This also appears to have been the approach in the port to NT done
by the folks at Sanyo. I don't understand why #ifdef for WINNT does
not work in this case.

If we are serious about maintaining an Apache port to NT, IMO we
need to do it with the same codebase. Those areas needing abstraction
to OS APIs would be much more apparent if the work could be done
while leaving the source intact.